Canine Meadows Off-Leash Dog Area (Within John Rudy County Park):
Hours of operation: Dawn to dusk. Availabe at no fee.
Requirements, Rules and Regulations:
Dogs must be state licensed, vaccinated and wearing current ID tags. Dogs must be healthy, no contagious conditions.
- Dogs must be 4 months of age.
- Dogs are not allowed to dig, fill immediately.
- Open dawn to dusk, no fee.
- Waste must be collected immediately & placed in proper receptacle.
- You are responsible for injuries inflicted by your dog to other dogs or people.
- Meadows can be closed during wet conditions.
- Open one gate at a time in the double-gated area. Open and close it before opening the next one to enter the off-leash area.
- Dogs must be leashed when entering or exiting the fenced-in area. (leash & unleash your dog inside the double-gated area)
- Dogs over 30 pounds not permitted in small dog area. No dog less than 30 lbs is allowed in large dog area.
- Dog owners/handlers must keep their dog (s) in view at all times. (never left unattended)
- Dogs showing aggressive behavior must be removed immediately.
- Children under 49 inches in height are not permitted, adults must accompany children up to 15 years of age.
- Food/treats (dog or human) are not allowed.
- Handlers must be at least 16 yrs of age.
- Excessive dog barking not allowed.
- Limit (3) dogs per adult handler.
- Dogs in-heat are not permitted .
- Wear flat collars only.
- No dog grooming.
- No Smoking.
- Please do not leave any toys, dishes or trash in the meadows.
- Small dog toys permitted.
Dog Owner and their invitees shall indemnify, save harmless and defend the County of York from any and all claims, actions, damages, injuries and/or expenses arising out of this activity or event at the York County Parks facility. Canine Meadows Off-Leash Area is subject to compliance with the above conditions and rules/regulations of the York County Department of Parks and Recreation and may result in a citation and/or removal for any violation of said rules and regulations.
In case of emergency, call 911. Non-emergency or questions (717) 840-7440
York County Parks, 400 Mundis Race Road. York Pa 17406
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CANINE MEADOWS:
1. Where are the trash cans?
A dumpster is available as you are exiting the area for you to deposit your dog’s waste. We will not be placing trash cans in the meadows. The park wide policy is carry in carry out. Please bring clean up bags.
2. Why can’t my small dog be in the large dog area or my large dog be in the small dog area?
Separation of dog sizes is standard throughout the country in dog parks. Larger dogs as a rule try to intimidate smaller dogs. We feel this protects your pet as well as you.
3. Why are children under 49 inches prohibited in the dog area?
Dogs and children are unpredictable. Children run and dogs love to chase children. There is the possibility of your child being injured by a chasing dog. It is difficult to watch your dog and a small child at the same time. Park Rangers will cite any adult who brings a child under 49 inches in height inside the meadows.
4. We brought our lunch and we can’t eat it in the dog area. Why?
There is no food allowed within the confines of the dog area. This is for the safety of you and your pet. There are many pavilions and picnic tables available for your use within the park. Pavilions are available on a first-come, first-serve basis if they are not reserved. Picnic tables are always available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Extensive research was done in the planning of Canine Meadows to ensure everyone’s safety and enjoyment. Please take the time to read all the rules and regulations. We want you and your pet to enjoy your visit!