When are County offices open?

County offices are generally open from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. each weekday, excluding holidays. Please note: Hours of operation for certain programs and services can vary, so please visit the applicable department’s website to verify their hours.

What can I bring into County buildings?

Visitors to County-owned buildings may be subjected to security screening. Please note: The following items are prohibited in the York County Judicial Center:

  • Cell phones
  • Firearms
  • Cameras
  • Pagers
  • Radios
  • Compact disk players
  • Any type of recording device
  • Pepper spray
  • Mace
  • Tools
  • Cutting instruments
  • Electronic games
  • Food/drink
  • Any other item Sheriff's Office personnel determine to be a security risk.

Where are your offices located?

For a full list of department locations and contact information, please visit our contact directory

How do I apply for a job with the County?

York County is a great place to work. Please visit the Job Seekers section on the Human Resources website for a list of open positions and information about how to apply.

I am looking to do business with the county. Where should I go?

Please visit our Purchasing Department’s website for open bids and a bidder’s list application.

What do the Commissioners do?

The three-member Board of Commissioners is the chief legislative and policy-making board of York County Government. Some functions include:

  • Adopting the annual County budget.
  • Raising the money to fund the County's operations by levying property taxes, setting fees, selling bonds or borrowing.
  • Appointing citizen members to County boards, commissions and committees, which provide oversight for significant County services.
  • Determining the sites of County buildings, and purchasing or disposing of County-owned property and facilities.
  • Representing the County, and managing its property and business by adopting rules, regulations, ordinances and policies.

When do the Commissioners’ meet?

The Commissioners meet each Wednesday at 10 a.m. The meetings take place in the Commissioners’ meeting room, which is located on the 2nd floor of the York County Administrative Center, 28 E. Market St. in York City. Public comment is invited at these meetings. Meeting minutes are also available on this website

How do I get a copy of a birth or death certificate?

The York County Archives has birth and death records from 1852-1855 and 1893-1906. For records after 1906, please contact the Pennsylvania Department of Health. Prior to 1906, Pennsylvania only kept birth and death records for the years we list. Government birth and death records never existed for any other time periods. Church records or family files found at The York County Heritage Trust are the best alternative.

How do I obtain a driver’s license, vehicle registration and other related matters?

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation handles driver’s licenses, vehicle registration and similar requests. Please visit their site at https://www.dmv.state.pa.us

Where do I go to apply for a Passport?

The York County Prothonotary’s Office accepts passport applications. Please visit this office’s site for more information.

Where do I go for a license to carry a firearm?

The York County Sheriff’s Office handles licenses to carry firearms. Please visit this office's site for more information.

I’m interested in purchasing a hunting, fishing or small games of chance license. Who handles that for the county?

The York County Treasurer’s Office handles these requests. For more information, please visit the Treasurer’s Office.

I am looking for the Welfare Office/Assistance Office/County Assistance Office:

This office is a state entity that is operated in each county in Pennsylvania. For a listing of all of the County Assistance Offices in the state, with contact information, click here. For York County's Assistance Office, call (717) 771-1100, or, 1-800-991-0929. The Assistance Office provides help with: financial, housing, employment, food stamps, energy, etc.

Where can I get assistance in paying my heating bill?

There are several community agencies that assist with heating and energy concerns. The largest program is LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program) which is currently implemented through the York County Assistance Office. You can contact that office at: (717) 771-1100, or, 1-800-991-0929. For other community agencies providing energy programs, as well as tips and other energy assistance information, click here to review LIHEAP information and resources.

Where can I get food assistance?

The state-operated York County Assistance Office runs the food stamp program. Their contact information is: (717) 771-1100, or, 1-800-991-0929. The York County Food Bank also provides food assistance, and can be reached at: (717) 846-6435. York County also provides several food pantries, located across the county. To locate the pantry closest to your home, please contact FIRST at (717) 755-1000 or 1-800-673-2529.

Where can I go to find out what social services are available to help me?

Please contact FIRST at (717) 755-1000 or 1-800-673-2529.

Didn’t find what you were looking for? Please visit these departmental FAQ pages for more detailed information.

About York County » In This Section