Civil Case E-Services Portal

Most non-family civil matters filed in the York County Prothonotary’s Office shall be filed electronically. 

Electronic Services Portal
       Civil Case Search

The Prothonotary’s Office is accepting non-family Civil Suit (SU) filings except for*:
Appeals to Commonwealth or Superior Court
Arbitration Appeals
District Magistrate Appeals
License Suspension Appeals
Non Domestic Relations Restraining Order
Petition for Name Change
Writ of Execution from another county
Writ of Scire Facias
Writ of Revival

*cannot accept initial filings but may take subsequent filings for these case types

No Family Court filings

Civil Court E-Filing became mandatory October 1, 2020.




Resource Page


National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a national network of local crisis centers that provides free and confidential emotional support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We're committed to improving crisis services and advancing suicide prevention by empowering individuals, advancing professional best practices, and building awareness.

National Alliance Mental Illness (NAMI) York, PA (717) 848-3784, www.namiyork,org

NAMI is the National Alliance on Mental Illness, the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. NAMI advocates for access to services, treatment, supports and research and is steadfast in its commitment to raise awareness and build hope for all of those in need. People living with mental illness need help and hope: they need a community that supports them, their families and their recovery.

York County Location: 140 Roosevelt Ave York, PA 17401

Crisis Intervention Locations

Wellspan Phillhaven: Multiple locations

At WellSpan Philhaven at Edgar Square in York, we can help you address mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, attention deficit disorder, phobias, post-traumatic stress disorder and more. If you are having anxiety, sadness or stress that does not go away and is severe enough to interfere with everyday life, WellSpan Philhaven can offer solutions to help.

More information:

TrueNorth Wellness Services

TrueNorth Wellness Services provides comprehensive and personal approaches to empower individuals in maintaining a life of wellness through preventative and healing services. Through counseling services, emergency crisis support, residential and vocational services, education and prevention, and lifestyle management services, our entire focus is to provide expert support and all-around care designed for the individual’s needs. Our skilled staff works to provide a comforting environment that inspires healthy living and moves clients toward achieving a lifetime of wellness.

More information:

Crisis Intervention: York Hospital (717) 851-5320 or 1-800-673-2496

What to do if you’re in a crisis or know someone who is having a Mental Health crisis

  • Call 911.
  • Provide the dispatcher with any information pertaining to mental health diagnosis, medications and/or treatment of the consumer.
  • Ask for a Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) Officer to be dispatched.
  • Stay on the phone with dispatcher and update with any changes until Police Officer responds.


Frequently Asked Questions



Can you give me legal advice on what I should do?

No, Court employees are not permitted to give legal advice on any topic.  Please consult a private attorney or if you are unable to afford your own attorney the York County Bar Association at 717-854-8755 or in criminal matters, the York County Public Defender's Office at 717-771-9217.

How do I respond to a Citation I received?

You have 10 days after receiving a citation from an officer or summons from the Court to enter a plea of guilty or not guilty.  Failure to respond will result in the issuance of a Arrest Warrant.  (Please see the reverse side of your citation.)

How do I respond to a Civil Complaint I received?

Carefully read and follow all the instructions sent to you from the Court.  Please respond in writing if you intend to defend.  If you wish to file a counter-claim, you must do so within the time frames permitted.  For legal questions, contact a private attorney or MidPenn Legal Services at 717-848-3605.

Do I need an Attorney?

It is not required that you be represented by an attorney.  However, if you are accused of a Misdemeanor or Felony OR if you feel it is in your best interest to be represented, you should obtain or at the very least consult an attorney

How do I request a continuance?

All continuance requests are subject to approval at the discretion of the Court.  Continuance requests must be in writing.  All continuances must be received at least two (2) business days prior to the Trial or Hearing.  (Witnesses, who are required to attend by subpoena, must make their request through the party for whom they are testifying. )

Will I get any points on my driver's license for the traffic citation I received?

For information on points assigned by PennDOT for traffic violations, see The Pennsylvania Point System.

 How do I present a case before the Magisterial District Judge?

If you are attending or participating in Court, proper attire is recommended and respectful conduct is expected.

When presenting a case in court, the Affiant (Criminal) or Plaintiff (Civil) always proceeds first.  This is done by means of testimony, presenting evidence and/or witnesses.  The Defendant always proceeds second and may present testimony, evidence and/or witnesses.  Witness testimony is subject to cross examination by the opposing party.  All parties are subject to the Rules of Civil and Criminal Procedure.

It is the obligation of the Affiant or Plaintiff to prove their case (the burden in Criminal cases is beyond a reasonable doubt, and in Civil cases by a preponderance of evidence.)


Your success depends on doing your homework!  It is important to bring all relevant documentation and persons with knowledge to testify to prove your case.



Related Links

Related Links


Unified Judicial System

This is the official site of Pennsylvania’s Judicial
Branch of Government, Administered by the
Office of Pennsylvania Courts.

Court Record Research

Use this site to research criminal and civil
dockets/records open to the public through the Unified
Judicial System Portal.  From Search Type, select
Participant Name and then County.

County of York

This is the official site for York County, Pennsylvania. 
Links to specific Departments with County Government
may be found here.

Pennsylvania Laws

This site provides you the ability to research the
specific requirements of any given Statute (Law) in
the Commonwealth.

York Area Regional Police

The York Area Regional Police Department is a full
service, primary response, local law enforcement
agency.  The priority of the Department is to protect
and preserve life, and property through effective
enforcement of the law, commitment to public safety,
and community service.

Pennsylvania State Police

Since our inception in 1905, the Pennsylvania State
Police has been dedicated to serving the public. It
is our desire to improve our ability to reach citizens
by using technology to increase the speed,
accuracy and availability of police and safety related

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services

The Official Pennsylvania Department of Transportation
site for all licensing and registration services.

York County Sheriff's Office

This is the official site of the Sheriff's Department for
York County and information on obtaining a
concealed weapons permit.

York County Prison

This the official site for information at the York
County Prison (Inmate Locator).

Southern Regional Police Department

Serving the Boroughs of:
Shrewsbury, Glen Rock, New Freedom, Stewartstown,
Winterstown and Railroad, and the Southern York
County School District.

North Hopewell Township Police Department 

Serving North Hopewell Township and Cross Roads





Payment Options

Payment Options


Cash, Check and Money Order Accepted.

Monday through Friday, see Office Hours.  Payments must be made on time.  Failure to pay shall result in a Warrant being issued and on all traffic offenses, a suspension of a driver’s license shall be imposed until payments are current.  (Additional warrant, sheriff or constable fees and a County surcharge of $17.00 shall apply.)

Major Credit and Debit Cards Accepted (MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover)

In person or by phone.  The County of York assesses a government convenience fee for all payments by credit card based on the amount of the transaction.  See below.

In Person  By Phone
2% up to $68.00 2.5% up to 68.00
3% over $68.00 3.95% over $68.00

After-Hours Payments

Some offices have drop boxes.

paepay     E-Pay (Make your payments On-Line)

Click on link (above).  Select an option based on the information you have and follow the instructions.  A $2.75 convenience fee will be charged for each separate transaction.  Print and keep your receipts, warrants will NOT be lifted until the payments are processed during the next Court business day.

Monthly Installment Plans (Click on the link for an application.)

(Acceptance of a payment plan or renewal is at the discretion of the Judge.)

Total Due Minimum Monthly Payment 
$300 - Less     $25.00
$300.01 - $500.00 $40.00
$500.01 - $1,000.00 $50.00
$1,000.01 - $1,500.00  $75.00
$1,500.01 - $2,000.00 $100.00

(All payment totals over $2,000 require two plans or in essence double payments)