Licenses To Carry Firearms
All applicants must be at least 21 years of age.
All applicants must complete the Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms.
Pennsylvania residents must posses a valid Pennsylvania Driver's License or Identification Card.
Out of state residents are required to accompany their application with a copy of their domicile state valid Driver's License and Concealed Weapons Permit.
Firearm Licenses are valid for five years from the date of issue.
New License Applications:
Monday thru Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Picking up Licenses:
Monday, Wednesday, & Thursday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Applications are available by clicking HERE. Both pages of the application must be submitted to our office. You can submit them as a single double-sided piece of paper, or you can submit them as two separate pieces of paper.
- You must fill out all the information requested from number 1 thru 33 with the exception of #2 and #8 on the front page. Sign and date the application when finished.
- Please note, social security numbers are voluntary. However, If there is a record found and we do not have the ability to identify you from that record, your license will not be approved.
- Non-Pennsylvania residents must have a concealed weapons permit issued by their domicle state and a valid Driver's License. You are required to accompany your application with a copy of your domicle state conealed weapons permit and driver's license.
- We may contact references and employers as part of the background process. Applications will be denied if contact information is incomplete or inaccurate.
- Return the completed application along with $20.00 dollars, cash, check, or money order. Your application will not be processed without these funds! Checks are to be made payable to: Sheriff of York County. Mail application and payment to the address at the bottom of this page.
- Processing time is typically less than 1 week. However, under state law the background checks can take up to 45 days. Once your application is approved our office will contact you. We will notify you via email or phone. Request for email or phone call are to be submitted on the form available by clicking HERE. Due to the large volume of applications, only one phone call attempt will be made. Therefore, you will be required to have a working answering machine. If we do not get an answering machine, no other phone call attempts will be made. When checking your email, we recommend that you also check your spam folder.
- Licenses must be picked up in person, with your valid drivers license or your state ID as indicated above. Your license will be held for 30 (thirty) days. After that time period, it will be removed from our system and you will have to reapply.
York County Sheriff's Office
York County Judicial Center
45 N. George St., 1st Floor
York, Pa. 17401