Passport Applications


The York County Prothonotary's Office is an authorized Passport Acceptance Facility for the U.S. Passport Services. We are accepting Passport Applications by appointment only. To make an appointment call 717-771-4760.

Se Hablo Espanol

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How long will it take to receive my passport?

    U.S. Passport Services is experiencing delays in receiving passport applications due to unprecedented mail volume and other COVID-19 impacts on the U.S. Postal Service. Expedited passports are expected to arrive 4 to 6 weeks from date of application. Currently, routine passports are expected to arrive 10 to 12 weeks from date of application. 

  2. Can I expedite my passport by paying an additional fee?


  3. What if I have an emergency and need to get my passport quickly?

    You can apply in person in Philadelphia or Washington D.C. only if you can prove the reason for your emergency and are leaving in 72 hours or less. Call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 for more information and to make an appointment

  4. I applied for my passport before the government shutdown and still haven’t received it. When can I expect it to return?

    Click HERE to check the status of your passport. 

  5. I was getting my passport to use for domestic travel versus getting a REAL ID. Will I have trouble traveling without it?

    No. Due to the pandemic, REAL ID has been extended till October 1, 2021. You may use a regular Driver’s License until that date.

Passport Guidance

All passport applicants must appear in person, including minors.

The best way to get up to date passport information is to call our office at 717-771-4760. We recommend calling our office with any questions before coming in to apply.

What you will need

          1) The Prothonotary's Office has blank forms available to the public
          2) Additionally, forms are available online: Online Passport Applications
      Proof of U.S. Citizenship 
          1) State Certified Birth Certificate - Long Form Only
               * Both parents' names must be included on the birth certificate
               * To obtain a new PA birth certificate go to PA Vital Records/Birth Certificates 
               * Out of state birth certificates can be ordered HERE 
          2) Naturalization Certificate - Original only
          3) Expired U.S. Passport
          4) Birth Abroad Document
        All citizenship documentation must be submitted to the U.S. Department of State with the 
        passport application. The citizenship documentation will be returned to you via US mail.
      Proof of Identity 
          1) Primary Identification: Valid Driver's License or Military ID
          2) Secondary Indentification (must provide 2): 
               a. Original State-issued Identification Card 
               b. Current School ID
               c. Expired state issued Driver's License or Stae ID card
               d. Health insurance card
               e. Work ID
               f. Social security card
               g. Voter registration card      
        Please note, if an applicant, or the parents/legal guardians of a minor, presents an out-of-
driver's license, additional identification is required.    
           One color passport photo (2"x2").  
           Please note that these are a specific type of photo. AAA, drugstores, and camera shops
           take passport photos. Personal photos, school photos or photos obtained from a “photo
are not acceptable.
      Additional Requirements for Minor Children 
          Both parents and the minor child must be present at the time of application.         
       Fees (for each application)
           Payment for passports is done in two parts. A check must be written for the U.S.
           Department of State 
fee. The Prothonotary fee is separate and may be paid by cash,
           check, money order, or credit card.