Q: What is the difference between probation and parole?

A: Probation is a sentence where an offender remains in the community under supervision. Parole is a conditional release from incarceration under conditions similar to probation.

Q: What is the difference between a county and a state sentence?

A: Generally a sentence of confinement requires a minimum and a maximum time. In PA, a state sentence is one with a maximum of 2 years or more. The PA Board of Probation and Parole is the paroling and supervising authority in state sentences. A county sentence is one in which the maximum sentence is 2 years minus 1 day or less. The sentencing judge grants parole in a county sentence and the county parole office supervises these offenders.

Q: What is ARD?

A: The Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition program is a pre-trial alternative for certain first time offenders facing disposition on a non-violent offense. The District Attorney's Office established the eligibility criteria and must approve the offender's application. (Please refer to the York County District Attorneys website for further information on the program requirements and eligibility criteria) The Adult Probation and Parole Department supervises those placed into the Program. Successful participants can earn a dismissal of the charges and are eligible for an expungement.

Q: After I complete the ARD program, how do I get my charges expunged?

A: Once your ARD case has been closed out successfully, the probation department will mail a dismissal petition and a letter with instructions to you. They will be sent to the address we have on record for you. You must sign the dismissal petition in front of a notary, have the petition notarized, and return the signed and notarized petition to your probation officer. Your probation officer will sign the dismissal petition. It will then be submitted to the judge to sign. Two copies of the completed petition are made. A copy will be sent to you, and a copy will be kept in our office. The original is sent to the Clerk of Courts. Your internal record in our office will be expunged. A completed dismissal order is sent to the magisterial district judge and the arresting police department then forwarded to the Pennsylvania State Police for expungement from the central repository. This is a lengthy process that can take up to six months to complete.

Q: What are the general conditions of Probation/Parole supervision in York County?

A: Please refer to the forms section of this site for a copy of our “general conditions of supervision”. Be aware that additional conditions may be imposed at the time of sentencing by the sentencing Judge.

Q: What are the arrest powers of probation officers in Pennsylvania?

A: Under PA Act 277, August 6, 1963 and amended by PA Act 1992-117, December 4, 1992, probation/parole officers shall have the powers of Peace Officers in the performance of their duties and shall have police powers and authority throughout the Commonwealth to arrest with or without warrant any person on probation, intermediate punishment or parole for any violation of probation, intermediate punishment or parole.

Q: How do I find out who the assigned probation officer is for an individual?

A. You can find out who the assigned Probation/Parole Officer is by calling (717) 771-9602 and speaking with a receptionist.

Q. May someone on probation/parole or intermediate punishment leave the state?

A. Someone under active supervision may only leave Pennsylvania with a temporary travel pass issued by their probation officer. Offenders should request a travel permit well in advance of their anticipated departure date. Defendants who travel outside of Pennsylvania without a valid travel permit may be subject to arrest by any state they travel to.

Q. How can I find out how much I owe for costs, fines, and restitution?

A. The Pennsylvania Unified Judicial System has a website that lists all outstanding amounts due by docket number at the following link:

PA Unified Judicial System Court of Common Please Web Docket Sheets

You can do a search either by “Common Pleas Docket Number” or by name by clicking on “Search Type” and entering the requested information.

Q. Where are fines, court costs, and restitution paid?

A. Fines, costs, and restitution are paid in the Clerk of Courts office located on the first floor of the York County Judicial Center. Please find more payment information here.

Q: What happens if I do not pay my total in full before I come off probation?

A. Not having your balance paid in full before the expiration of your probation period is a violation of the conditions of your probation or parole. Therefore, as with violating any other rules/regulations of parole/probation, you are subject to have your sentence revoked and reinstated/resentenced to continue on probation until your balance is paid in full.

Q: I have an after hour emergency, what do I do?

A: If you have a legitimate emergency after hours you can dial 911 and ask to speak with the On Call Adult Probation Officer.