An executor or administrator must obtain the necessary legal documents to enable him or her to act for the estate. These documents, called either Letters Testamentary (executor), or Letters of Administration (administrator), are obtained through the Register of Wills in the county in which the deceased person lived at the time of death.
The duties of the personal representative include:
- Finding the will and having it probated
- Locating and protecting the assets of the estate
- Finding and notifying the heirs
- Paying debts, expenses, taxes of the estate from its assets
- Complying with state and federal laws
- Distributing property to the heirs after all procedures are followed