- Parks & Recreation
Parks & Recreation
In 1968, the Board of Commissioners for York County established the York County Parks Department to provide the community with a wide variety of activities and to acquire, develop, maintain and preserve lands for future generations to enjoy. Today, we currently maintain over 4, 300 acres of parkland in 11 county parks for your enjoyment throughout the county. Whether your interests include relaxation, sports, environmental education, history, wilderness or recreation, there is something for everyone within York County Parks.
York County Department of Parks Recreation enhances the quality of community life acting as a steward for the environment. In this capacity, it acquires, conserves, and manages park lands and offers a variety of recreational and educational opportunities.
York County Department of Parks and Recreation strives to be the County leader in environmental conservation, preservation, and education. Programs and projects in these areas reflect sound management and stewardship principles and a strong organizational commitment to innovation and public service.
As steward of the County's park lands, the York County Department of Parks and Recreation:
- Creates customer-friendly environments
- Provides a diversity of natural areas to promote passive recreation
- Conserves and interprets the natural and historical aspects of park resources
- Listens and responds to park users
- Encourages safe and responsible use of park resources
- Strives to maintain the highest level of professionalism
- Enters into partnerships and pursues networking
- Promotes and honors volunteer participation
- Fosters innovation and creativity in fulfilling mission responsibilities
- Cultivates new sources of support and funding
Park hours are dawn to dusk, with the exception of special events and fishing at William Kain Park.
John Rudy County Park Administrative Building is located at 400 Mundis Race Road, York, PA, 17406. Hours are Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm, closed daily from 12:30-1 pm for lunch. The office is closed on holidays. Contact the parks office at 717-840-7440 or by emailing the parks department.
Nixon Park Nature Center
Nixon Park Nature Center is located at 5922 Nixon Drive, York, PA 17403, Hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm and Sunday, 12 to 4:30 pm. The nature center is closed on Mondays and holidays. Contact the Nixon Park Nature Center by calling 717-428-1961 or by emailing the nature center..
Park Rangers can be reached by calling 717-840-7440, option 3 or by calling 911 and asking for a Park Ranger.
York County Advisory Board of Parks and Recreation Board Members
- Joshua Bean, Chairperson
- Brian Addison, Vice Chair
- Kimberly Hogeman, Secretary
- Jeffery Hortman
- David Morgan
- Bernice Quesenberry
- Zach Zimmerman
- Clair Weigle III
Liaison to the Parks Board: Commissioner Ron Smith
York County Parks Foundation Charitable Trust Board of Trustees
- Timothy Senft, President
- George "Skip" Lehmann, Vice President
- Linda Davidson, Secretary
- Steven Ricklefs, Treasurer
- Rick Cooper
- Bobby Kinsley
- Tammy Klunk
- Milton Menchey
- Michael Russo
- Richard Ellenberger
York County Parks Emeritus Board
George "Skip" Lehmann - Honorary Chairman
View annuals reports dated back to 2017 in our Archive Center.
There are no published events in current month.