Certified Copies of Marriage Licenses

A Certified Copy of a Marriage License is required for a variety of reasons, typically to change your last name or to provide proof of name change. Government agencies often requesting a Certified Copy are Social Security Administration, Passport Bureau, PennDOT, and others.

If you applied for your Marriage License in York County, you may purchase a Certified Copy either online using a credit card or by contacting our office in writing paying by check. Please use the following instructions.

To purchase a Certified Copy electronically using your credit card:

  • Launch our online record search and login to the system as a Guest.
  • After accepting the Online Services Disclaimer, select Search Public Records.
  • Under Search Types, select Marriage Names (if searching for a Marriage License issued prior to 1950, please request Certified Copies by mail following the following instructions or call 717-771-9288 and stay on the line for a Clerk).
  • Under Specific Criteria, type your name and click Search in the upper right.
  • After locating your name in the Displaying Items, click on your license number to view your Marriage Record. After viewing your Marriage Record, click Certified Copy in the upper right.
  • Complete the eCertify Options with your Email and contact information, and click Certify.
  • Click Accept to be charged the $10 Certification Fees. It may take a minute to link to the credit card payment page.
  • Under Payment Type, select the type of credit card you are using. The credit card company will charge you a service fee for the transaction.
  • Complete your Billing Information including you Credit Card Number, Expiration Date, and Card Security Number, and click Continue.
  • On the final screen, review your information, check that you agree to the Terms and Conditions of the charge to your credit card, and include your email address to receive confirmation. Then click Process Payment. After successful payment, the office will mail your Certified Copy of Marriage License to you.

To request your Certified Copy by sending a $10 check/money order made payable to "Clerk of Orphans' Court," print and complete the Certified Copy of Marriage License Request Form (PDF) and mail to:

Clerk of Orphans' Court
York County Judicial Center
45 N George Street
York, PA 17401

Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for return mailing of your Certified Copy.

Thank you!