Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is the new name for the Food Stamp program. These benefits are used to buy food and help eligible low-income households in Pennsylvania obtain more nutritious diets by increasing their food purchasing power at grocery stores and supermarkets. If you are eligible, you will receive a Pennsylvania Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) ACCESS Card which is used to make food purchases at grocery stores and supermarkets.
If your gross monthly income (based on your household size) is less than or equal to the eligibility limit, you might qualify for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program(SNAP). See the SNAP Income Guidelines (PDF). The best way to determine if your household will qualify for SNAP is to apply.
How to Apply
There are a couple of different ways to apply for SNAP; please choose the option that suits you. If you do not know if you are eligible, you may still apply.
- By phone contact: Central Pennsylvania Food Bank at 877-999-5964
- You can apply for or renew your SNAP benefits online by using COMPASS. COMPASS is the name of the website where you can apply for the SNAP program and many other services that can help you make ends meet.
- Or, you can file an application at the York County Assistance Office, 130 N Duke Street, York.
- Download an Application for SNAP benefits from the Web and return it to the York County Assistance Office.
- Application for cash assistance, SNAP and Medical Assistance Benefits (PDF) (English version)
- Solicitud Para Recibir Beneficios (PDF) (Spanish version)
Simple SNAP Application for Elderly or Disabled Households
You can use this application for SNAP benefits if everyone in the household is age 60 or older or disabled and purchases and prepares food together and does not receive any earnings from work. A household is a group of people who usually purchase and prepare meals together. People in the household are not required to be related.
- Simple Application for Simple Application for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (PDF) (English)
- Solicitud simple para el Programa de Asistencia Nutricional Suplementaria (PDF) (Spanish)
For additional information or assistance completing the application form, contact the following:
York County Assistance Office
130 N Duke Street
P.O. Box 15041
York, PA 17405-7041
For questions, contact the PA Department of Human Services Helpline toll-free at 800-692-7462.