When a consumer is no longer able to be cared for at home and placement is required, the Assessment Department can complete a Pre-Admission Assessment to determine the least restrictive placement recommendation. Placement recommendations would include Nursing Facility, Personal Care Home, or Domiciliary Care Program.
Eligibility for Pre-Admission Assessment
Referrals should be made to the Assessment Department for consumers who meet at least 1 of the following criteria:
- Current Medical Assistance eligible consumers who apply for placement in a nursing facility
- Consumers who apply for nursing facility care and who would become eligible for some medical assistance reimbursement upon entering a nursing facility
- Nursing facility residents who were admitted as private pay and after "spending down", are applying for medical assistance coverage. These consumers should be assessed no later than 45 days prior to the exhaustion of private pay coverage.
- Any consumer who has reason for considering nursing facility placement who requests an assessment
- Consumers applying for 'Special State SSI supplement' for placement in a Personal Care Home/Domiciliary Care or who are already residing in an approved/licensed facility
- Consumers of all ages who are identified in the target population of the OBRA '87 screening under mental illness, mental retardation, or with other related conditions, including medical assistance and private pay nursing facility applicants
Office of Long-Term Living
Bureau of Individual Support