Frequently Asked Questions:

  • How much does it cost to file a summary conviction appeal?
    • $74.65 is due at the time of filing. This filing fee is non-refundable regardless of the outcome of your appeal. If found guilty, additional costs will be owed.
  • What if I do not have $74.65 to file for an appeal?
    • You may file an In Forma Pauperis Petition. This is a petition to request a judge wave the filing fee pending sufficient evidence of your ability to pay the required fee. If the petition is denied, you have 30 days to pay the $74.65 fee or your case will remain at the district court.
  • How many days do I have to file an appeal?
    • 30 calendar days unless your last day to file is a weekend or holiday in which the Clerk of Courts office is closed. You will then have until the next business day to file.
  • What if I am passed my 30 days?
    • If you determine that your 30 day appeal deadline has past, you may file a Nunc Pro Tunc petition requesting a judge allow you to file beyond the 30 day deadline provided that you have a sufficient legal reason why you were not able to file during your 30 day appeal period.
  • Is there a fee to file a Nunc Pro Tunc petition or an In Forma Pauperis petition?
    • There is a $74.65 non-refundable fee to file a Nunc Pro Tunc petition. It is free to file an In Forma Pauperis petition, unless your petition is denied. If denied, you will be required to pay a $26.50 filing fee in addition to the $74.65 summary conviction appeal filing fee.
  • What if I have multiple tickets to appeal?
    • Each ticket will need to be appealed and paid for separately unless they were issued at the same time. 
  • What if I live out of state or cannot come in to fill out my papers?
    • You MUST come in to the office to fill out the paperwork. The only exception to this is if you live out of state and have made arrangements with the Summary Appeals clerk and supervisor.
  • How does Penndot get notified of my appeal?
    • If your appeal is driving related and Penndot needs notified, you will receive a certified copy of the appeal that will be your responsibility to mail to or take to Penndot. 
  • Is there someone that can help me fill out the forms?
    • No. Court related staff, by law, cannot help you in completing your summary conviction appeal forms or petitions. It is highly recommended that you speak with an attorney.