License to Carry
License to Carry Firearms
If you are either a resident of York County or an out-of-state resident, please utilize the "LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS" link below for the new online process or click on our forms section for a application that can be mailed to the Sheriff's Office.
To complete the Firearms Licensing through the York County Sheriff's Office click on the link below.
All applicants must be at least 21 years of age.
All applicants must complete the Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms.
Pennsylvania residents must possess a valid Pennsylvania Driver's License or Identification Card.
Out of state residents are required to accompany their application with a full color copy of their domicile state valid Driver's License and Concealed Weapons Permit.
Firearm Licenses are valid for five years from the date of issue.
York County Judicial Center:
Dropping off Applications: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Picking up Licenses: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- You can submit Applications online by clicking here or you can click here to download and print an application to mail in. Both pages of the application must be submitted to our office. You can submit them as a single double-sided piece of paper, or you can submit them as two separate pieces of paper.
- You must fill out all the information requested from number 1 thru 33 with the exception of #2 and #8 on the front page. Sign and date the application when finished.
- Please note, social security numbers are voluntary. However, if there is a record found and we do not have the ability to identify you from that record, your license will not be approved.
- Non-Pennsylvania residents must have a concealed weapons permit issued by their domicile state and a valid Driver's License. You are required to accompany your application with a copy of your domicile state concealed weapons permit and driver's license.
- We may contact references and employers as part of the background process. Applications will be denied if contact information is incomplete or inaccurate.
- Return the completed application along with $20.00 dollars, check, or money order. Your application will not be processed without these funds! Checks are to be made payable to: Sheriff of York County. Mail application and payment to the address at the bottom of this page.
- Processing time is typically less than 1 week. However, under state law the background checks can take up to 45 days. Once your application is approved our office will contact you. We will notify you via email or phone. Request for email or phone call are to be submitted on the form available by clicking HERE. Due to the large volume of applications, only one phone call attempt will be made. Therefore, you will be required to have a working answering machine. If we do not get an answering machine, no other phone call attempts will be made. When checking your email, we recommend that you also check your spam folder.
- Licenses must be picked up in person, with your valid drivers license or your state ID as indicated above. Your license will be held for 30 (thirty) days. After that time period, it will be removed from our system and you will have to reapply.
York County Sheriff's Office
License to Carry Office
45 North George St.
York, Pa 17401
(Note- If your license is expired use the "New" License to Carry Application option)
Once your application is approved you will be contacted to complete the process.
Out-of-State residents must accompany their applications with a colored photo of both their Driver's License and License to Carry Firearms from the state in which they currently reside.