Parks & Recreation
Receive our e-alerts & newsletters.
William Kain Park
Established in 1977, William H. Kain County Park consists of 1,637 acres and 2 lakes, Lake Williams (220 acres) and Lake Redman (290 acres). The park is made possible through a 50 year lease agreement between the County of York and The York Water Company.
Looking to rent a pavilion? Click here.
From York, follow S. George St. to Jacobus. For Lake Redman, turn left onto Church St. and go .6 mile to boat launch area on left. For Lake Williams, turn right onto Water St. and go .5 mile to main parking area.
- Fishing: Fish types are Crappy, Sunfish, Catfish, Large Mouth Bass, Pike, Muskie, and Stripers. Both Lakes are designated as Big Bass Lakes by the Pa. Fish Commission.
- Boating: Rentals are available on Lake Redman (rowboats, paddle boats, canoes and kayaks). For more detailed information, visit our Boat Rental page.
- Main Parks page. For Rules and Regulations, visit our
- Launching: Lake Williams offers 1 boat launch. It has limited space for trailer parking. Gas motors cannot be used.
- Lake Redman offers 2 boat launches. Gas motors may not be used. Night boating open year around. Trailers are not permitted at the Sparton Road Boat launch.
- Pavilion Rentals: Five pavilions are available for a nominal fee at Lake Redman. For reservation information or to make a reservation go to our Pavilion page.
- Hunting: Limited hunting is allowed with special permits. Contact the parks office for up-to-date information.
- Horseshoe Pits: Horseshoe pits are located near pavilions.
- Playground: Located near Pavilion area at Lake Redman.
- Volleyball: One court is available near Lake Redman.
- Multi-use Trails: There are over 12 miles of marked trails. Horseback riding, mountain biking and hiking are permitted on all trails. Trails are closed to mountain bikers and horseback riders during "wet conditions," as determined by Park Rangers. For current conditions, check out the parks twitter page, call the Parks Office at (717) 840-7440 for trail updates (available 24 hours a day), or refer to trail open/closed signs located along park entrance areas. Remember hikers yield to horseback riders and bikers yield to both hikers and horseback riders.
- Radio Controlled Airplanes: A radio controlled airplane landing strip is located off South Pleasant Ave. All "fliers" must belong to the Prop Buster Radio Control Club
Trail #5 Extension/Bird View Deck:
York County Parks Department has built a 350 foot walking deck in Kain Park. The deck and a quarter mile gravel loop trail are ADA accessible and stroller friendly. It is located near the Iron Stone Hill Road parking lot. The deck is now open to the public and offers a great view of the backwaters of Lake Redman, providing excellent opportunities for birding enthusiasts. A variety of waterfowl can be viewed from the deck, especially during the spring and fall migrations.
- Over 8,000 deck screws were used during construction.
- Approximately 600 pieces of treated lumber were used (variety in sizes).
- Over 700 ft. of brown chain link fence was used on the railing
- 40 Helical Screw Anchors (post specially designed for wetland usage) are installed 8 feet in the ground.
Horses and bikes are not allowed on the deck and feeding waterfowl is prohibited.