Courts & Criminal Justice
Court/Court Related Offices
- Individuals must be a US citizen twenty-one years of age or older.
- Individuals must possess a valid Pennsylvania driver's license. Out of state applicants must have a valid license in the state where they reside and must obtain a PA driver's license upon appointment.
- Individuals must not have any prior or pending criminal record and/or conviction(s), other than minor traffic violations or have any pending civil actions.
- Individuals must have a high school diploma or equivalent. Advanced education, training within a certified law enforcement program, criminal justice degree, or military service is beneficial but not required.
- Individuals must be in good physical condition with weight and height requirements of comparable normality.
- Individuals must be able to complete the physical and educational requirements for the position of Deputy Sheriff as set by the Deputy Sheriff's Education and Training Board. These currently include several physical fitness tests including a timed mile and a half run.
All Deputy Sheriff's are required to attend basic training academy of 760 Hours and attend continuing education courses of 24 hours every two years. Deputy Sheriff's also attend various in-house training programs as determined by the department training division. This instruction includes firearm qualifications, Taser certifications, OC Spray, and others.
To apply for a York County Deputy Sheriff Position you must complete the York County Employment Application available for print here.
Complete the application, and mail it to:
York County Human Resources
28 East Market Street
York PA 17401