Courts & Criminal Justice
Concealed Weapons Permits
You MUST Have a Valid Pennsylvania Drivers License or Identification Card.
Out of state applicants must have a license to carry AND a Driver's License or State ID from the state in which they reside.
Firearm Permits are valid for five years from the date of issue.
New License Applications: Monday thru Friday 8am to 430pm
Picking up completed Applications: Monday, Wednesday, & Thursday 8am to 430pm
Tuesday and Friday 8am to 6pm
Saturday 8am to 2pm
- You must fill out all the information requested from number 1 thru 33 with the exception of #2 on this page. Sign and date the application when finished.
- Please note, social security numbers are voluntary. However, If there is a record found and we do not have the ability to identify you from that record, your license will not be approved.
- Non-Pennsylvania residents must have a license to carry a firearms from the state in which they reside and a valid state ID or Driver's License. You must also either have business, family, or property in York County. You are required to provide us with written verification that you meet the requirements and a copy of your resident state firearms permit and your Drivers License or State issued ID with your application.
- Processing time is usually 3 (three) weeks. However, under state law the background checks can take up to 45 days. If you provide an email address, we will email you when your application is ready to be picked up. Also, if you request we will call you when your application is ready. Due to the large volume of applications, only one phone call attempt will be made. Hence, you will be required to have a working answering machine. If we do not get an answering machine, no other phone call attempts will be made. Request for email or phone call are to be requested on the form available by clicking HERE (.pdf).
- Permits must be picked up in person, and valid state ID is required to pickup permits. We will only hold your permit for 90 (ninety) days. After that time period it will be removed from our system and you will have to reapply at that time. If you call, we will not release any information as to your application status.
- Return the completed application along with $20 dollars, cash, check, or money order. Your application will not be processed without these funds! Checks are to be made payable to: Sheriff of York County mail application and payment to the address at the bottom of this page.
- We will be contacting references and employer as part of the background process. Applications will be denied if contact information is incomplete or inaccurate.
- Applications are available by clicking HERE (.pdf). The form is required to be double sided. Applications with the back side on a separate sheet of paper will be rejected.
A $5.00 administrative fee will be assessed for all declined applications and permits not picked up within 90 days.
York County Sheriff's Office
York County Judicial Center
45 N. George St., 1st Floor
York, Pa. 17401